On Tuesday, Jocelyn and Tristan had what was supposed to be, their final checkup before being admitted to CHLA for Tristan’s BMT. Extra blood tests were repeated just to be sure there were no signs of active infection.
First thing Wednesday morning, we were woken up with a phone call from one of Tristan’s BMT doctors. He explained that Tristan’s blood work came back indicating inflammation which means another infection. So instead of having surgery for a central line put in his chest this past Friday, the doctors decided to change his surgery to a biopsy in his pelvis, and possibly his chest, and bronchoscopy.
Friday morning, the doctors took out an enlarged lymph node in his pelvis. The chest was too risky and is considered major surgery that the doctors feel as though is unnecessary at the time. They also sent a camera into his left lung. The left lung showed quite a bit of mucus. The doctor sprayed some saline into the lung and sucked it back out to sample the mucus.
The surgery went well, and Tristan did great. He slept for well over an hour after surgery and when he woke up he scarfed down 2 popsicles and a jello. He was so silly from the anesthesia – it was funny to watch.
Saturday morning, we got another call from the same BMT doctor. The biopsy showed bacteria – another infection so another antibiotic. Although it sucks to have him on yet another antibiotic, I’m glad we decided to change his central line surgery to the biopsy and bronchoscopy. We definitely don’t want to send Tristan into chemo with an existing infection. So instead of admitting him today, we wait until the infection is gone.
At least we got to spend today with him! Today was Tristan’s 2nd birthday and we had a blast! We did a Facetime/Hangouts party with the grandparents and our siblings. We all sang happy birthday to him. He laughed every time we sang. We ended the day taking a drive through the Torrance Sleepy Hallow Lights – he absolutely loved it and Jocelyn did too!
Tristan is recovering with a little pain, but nothing that a little Tylenol can’t take care of. As of now, everything is pushed off until December 15. Hopefully by then Tristan will be healthy enough to start the BMT process. At this point, it really is a day by day thing. It is almost a daily thing that we hear from more than one doctor regarding his care plan. I’ll be sure to post updates here to keep you all aware.
Thank you all again for your love and support. Be back soon…